In order to maintain an atmosphere conducive to concentrated work, we ask members to show consideration to fellow readers by abiding by the following guidelines:
- Mobile phones and personal audio equipment should be switched to silent mode on entering the Library. The Issue Hall and the Members’ Room are now the only designated areas for mobile phone use, and they should always be used with consideration for others. The use of mobile phones is forbidden in all other parts of the Library.
- The North Bay, Prevost and Lightwell Reading Rooms are provided for laptop use. The main Reading Room is allocated for quiet work only.
- The consumption of food or drink (other than water in a screw-top or other secure container) in the Library is not permitted, except in the Members’ Room. Water coolers are located in the Issue Hall and Members' Room - cups or other open-top containers provided are for use in the immediate area only.
- Bags and cases should be left in secure lockers at Reception and not taken into the stacks. Reception staff will provide clear plastic bags for use in the Library.
- Collection care: to help ensure the survival of the collections for future generations to enjoy, please take care of the Library's books. Please do not:
- Make any marks in books, whether in pencil, pen or highlighter. Writing in books is expressly against the Library's rules.
- Use post-it notes as bookmarks as they can be difficult to remove and can leave a residue which causes pages to stick together over time. Please use bookmarks and refrain from folding over the corner of the page or placing open books face down.
- Store books where they may be exposed to excessive heat, light or humidity.
- We would also request that you take extra care of books when transporting them to and from the Library, and keep them dry and well away from food or liquid.